4) Listen – Oh be careful little ears what you hear.
- Music is said to be used for “mood management.”
- Have we noticed the correlation of disrespect in our culture with the degradation in the music of today?
- How does certain music make you feel?
Ephesians 5:18-19; Psalm 95:1; Proverbs 2:2
What if you replaced or at least balanced that music with Christian music or an inspirational podcast?
5) TV – You see it and you hear it.
How much time do you spend watching TV? _________________________
How much time do you spend in prayer? __________________________
We have a culture of desensitized, fantasizing Americans because we have watched too much TV. Forgive me if the stats are outdated now.
- 56% of divorces involved a spouse with a porn addiction.
- Average American spends 5 hours a day watching TV, has 5 social media accounts and spends 1 hour and 40 minutes a day on them.
- Popular shows: The Walking Dead, American Horror Story, Empire, Basketball Wives, Love and Hip-Hop, Modern Family, HTGAWM, News etc…
- African Americans watch 218 hours a month, while whites watch 155.3, Hispanics 123.2, and Asians 92.3.
- The average Georgian spends about 12 minutes a day on religious activities.
Psalm 119:37; Isaiah 33:15
- A mind is a terrible thing to waste, and to put waste into!
Proverbs 23:7 (KJV) – For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he…
The Main Point
Hebrews 4:12 (NLT) – For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires.
- In essence, the only way to keep your mind sharp, is to keep it filled with the Word.
Vending machine – I put $1.00 in, I get $1.00 worth of food or drink out. I put the Word, and out comes the Word. I put in trash, well, eventually I start to smell it.
WE are called to live a different life. And that is going to require different time commitments and changes in what we put into our minds.
- Romans 12:2 (NLT) – Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.
- Philippians 4:8 (NLT) – And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.
Remember the transformation chamber from Family Matters? When Steve mixed the right ingredients, he had the right formula to transform himself. In essence, he looked the same, but he was completely different when the right ingredients went into the chamber. When we step into the Word, our transformation chamber, we may look the same, but we don’t step out the same.
5-Minute Challenge: For one week, spend the first 5 minutes of your day with God (pray, read a devotion, listen to gospel music, or a podcast).